Thursday, January 25, 2007

Traction control

Wednesday morning was a little less cold than anticipated, but still below freezing and the coldest air temperature I've run in. Having run at 4C in a long sleeved under shirt, T-shirt and some old trackie trousers (I can't bring myself to buy running tights) I was pretty sure I'd need something extra to ward off the 4.5C difference.

I added a windbreak zip-up fleece, bobble hat and upgraded my gloves from some sailing gloves, with the first finger and thumb half open, for thermal gloves. The sailing gloves are intended to allow for the tying of knots and fiddling with little metal pins holding the sheets in place. They are also really good for accurately pressing buttons on a Garmin.

Having loaded up on the layers, I was already overheating as I made my way out the front door, so I had a few moments to cool down slightly - taking in the gloriously clear sky, just starting to lighten, before kicking off.

This run moved me forward again now 3 x 9 minutes with one minute walking between. Again I kept the pace down and followed my MapMyRun planned route. It was pretty slippery out there and in some spots I was only really keeping myself upright and letting momentum carry me forward. Mind you I had plenty of padding if I did go over.

The gloves only lasted the first mile before they came off, and the hat lasted another mile before I just couldn't stand the heat. I was pretty much roasted at the end, so will be replanning my run-wear for next time.

9 minutes felt pretty good, but now 24 hours later I can feel that right ankle tendon complaining again. I've been wondering if Carmen has something similar which has put her out of action for a while.

Not wanting to loose this progress, I'm considering rolling back to 8 minute sections for a while longer, then trying again at 9. Physio help would also be great and I keep promising to get an appointment but can't see where in my diary it will fit until mid February.

Hope all is well with you.

Monday: 2.7 miles, 10:02 pace 27 minutes. 9 run : 1 walk.

Mr Stumble

1 comment:

Phil said...

Not bad for your first jaunt in cold weather. The general rules I use for running in sub 0C are simple.

1) Your upper body should feel cool when you first step outside. As in, "why am I doing this". Your legs can feel cold. I don't wear tights for anything over 2C. I heat up way too fast.
2) I don't bother with a hat for anything over -5C. I ran in -7C the other day and could have used one, but it was still ok after an hour.
3) You should be able to unzip the outer layer for additional cooling should the air temp warm while you're out and about.
4) Gloves are hard to guage. The other day I went out with the temp at 3C and after 15 minutes I wished I had a pair of light cotton gloves. On the other hand, yesterdays run in -7F I wore thick cotton gloves and was toasty.

Whe the temperatures get below -12C, you need to start worrying about freezing the tender bits. I just don't have the gear for real cold weather running, so I don't know what to advise